Sunday 22 March 2009

Poked #7

My ovaries are starting to feel very bloated. It's an odd sensation, as if my period is coming but the fullness is felt at the sides instead of the middle. I have been feeling nauseous all day too which made my little venture to Causeway Bay an uncomfortable affair.

--
I came across this blog on egg donation (based in the U.S.) and interestingly enough, the blogger wrote "...in England, it is legal to donate eggs, but illegal to pay anyone for doing so. And, of course, no one ever donates eggs."

It's funny that she thinks this way because I am donating my eggs for free. Totally free, no strings attached. Really. In any case, it is illegal to pay anyone for their eggs in Hong Kong. I find it quite odd that a fellow egg donor like her wouldn't think that someone would be altruistic enough to donate eggs for free.

I suppose making egg donation a commercial venture is probably the best way to address the severe shortage of eggs in Hong Kong but on the flip side, I can also see many issues that can result in an exploitation of young, ignorant uninformed girls who are desperate for cash. In my (very humble) opinion, a more focused and nationalised approach will be best - the government should create more public awareness which will enable women to voluntarily go forward and donate eggs.

For me, I think the best reward is in truly helping another human being. That is, very simply, priceless.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have been on IUI and IVF several times at the IVF Centre at Hong Kong Sanitorium Hospital for the past 2 years and unsuccessful due to my age(42). The only light at the end of the tunnel for me is Egg Donor. So if you could donate eggs, me together with all my family members would be much much appreciated. Pls can you urgently reply to me at email: hohochu3115@yahoo.com.hk

    In the meantime, I wish you all the best with whatever you have ahead of you...

    ReplyDelete