Thursday 26 March 2009

Fifty-five (quite golden) eggs



This morning I arrived at the clinic at 8:30am, half expecting the doctors and nurses to be there, all milling around. But there were only two nurses who asked me to fill up a form (when was your last meal, last drink, drug allergies, etc) and told me to wait. I read the papers, completed my Sudoku, and was told to empty my bowels.

At 9:00am, I was told to change into a blue gown and the anaesthetist started chatting with me - he is a lovely old gentleman from England - and gave me a poke on the back of my hand to inject the "magic juice" (that's what he said!), and then I'm ready. Dr C greeted me with a cheerful good morning and asked how I was. I wish I could tell her that I'm shaking hard in my boots as this is my first surgery ever. My childhood was a relatively tame one (the worst I got was a crushed little finger with the xray showing all the tiny bits of bones) so I never really know what to expect in an operating theatre. Anyway it was a matter of seconds when I fell asleep and when I woke up about three hours later, it was all done.

Dr C said she retrieved 55 eggs! Fifty-five!!! Damn. What am I, the super fertile golden goose? Obviously not all were mature but heck, 55 is still a lot. She gave me some pretty strong painkillers and I slept a bit more. When I next came to, I was asked to wait outside for my turn to see Dr C (she was seeing a patient then). When it was my turn and I started speaking to her, I felt so faint and I could feel all the blood draining from my head. A really strong nausea kicked in, I started losing all sensation in my body and I just felt like I wanted to die. It was horrible.. Dr C immediately grabbed me and made me lie on the bed. She ordered me not to move till I got enough rest. Talk about drama! And this was after the surgery.

The recipient of my eggs, M, had a beautiful bouquet of flowers delivered to the clinic for me. It was such a sweet gesture. As I lay on the bed covered by a Buzzlightyear blanket with the flowers next to me, I never felt more at peace. I know somehow one of those fifty-five eggs will be golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment