Tuesday 24 March 2009

Just two more days...



I was prodded for the last time yesteday. Well, the truly last one will be the surgey itself but I will be under, so it doesn't really count. I have twelve eggs on the right, eleven on the left. Not all of them were fully mature yet as each has to be bigger than 1.4cm to be considered so. I did some quick math in my head - if I have twelve on one side and if the average diameter is 1.2cm for each egg, it is almost like having a tennis ball inside me! That kind of explains why I feel pregnant.

The only complaint I have so far is the inability to sleep on my front. My breasts are sore, my ovaries are sore, so the only option is to sleep facing up. Not even on the sides :\

Anyway, when Dr C was measuring the follicles and I was staring at the black/white screen with wide-eyed fascination, I completely forgot to ask her for a picture of my full-blown follicles. dammit. I suppose I will have to donate my eggs again to get that snapshot! I have included a picture of some random woman's follicles for your viewing pleasure though. Don't they look like an x-ray slide of a cluster of bubbles? Just barmy.

*

I had two injections earlier today. First one was planned for 6:30pm - Decapeptyl 1ml - which I suspect is to prevent premature ovulation and Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS). I got home only at 6:40pm and by the time I poked myself, it was 6:50pm. Oops. Dr C specifically said I have a window of 15 minutes for the injection. Funnily enough, she called me promptly at 8pm to say that the surgery will be postponed by half an hour so the delay was perfectly ok! Phew.

The second jab was planned for 9pm (was originally slated for 8:30pm). This is the really important one: Ovidrel 4500IU. It helps follicles mature and triggers the release of mature eggs from the ovaries. It has to be timed 36 hours exactly before the egg pick-up but my beagle was bothering me (howling non-stop) and by the time I poked myself, it was 3 minutes past 9pm. I hope Dr C can forgive this slight transgression!

So now my follicles are releasing the eggs, giving them the first "freedom" at making it in life. Literally. Mind-blowing awesomeness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment